Friday, June 25, 2010

'Mannat'



Often I come across people from farther parts of the country traveling from the over crowded ‘Mumbai Darshan’ bus, with an intention to see Mumbai aka Bombay the way they always saw it in the movies. I do not know if what they expect Mumbai to be is what it turns out to be. I do not know what thoughts they have on their mind when they decide to have their vacation in the country’s most populated city; where every person is so preoccupied in his own world.

Often I come across this ‘Mumbai Darshan’ bus passing through the bandstand road in Bandra, halting right outside ‘Mannat’ – the pent house of India’s most successful, rich and famous film star, Mr. Shahrukh Khan.

People’s expressions lit in joy as they try to look inside Mannat; the house which is in itself barely visible and the secure entrance does not let you see anything. Yet people with all their attempts try to peek in; hoping to get one glance at this celebrity who happens to thrive on the same planet we do.

While I see these commuters excite in amazement, pinching themselves if they are actually standing right outside his house, makes me wonder if a person who never spoke with them, whom they never saw or met in real life can make a difference in their life.

As I stand on the balcony and watch all of this with curiosity, I remove my cellular and click Mannat from the third floor of the neighboring apartment; and wonder if this house they intend to see and yet cannot view, really means so much to them.

As I stare at the picture, truly wanting to feel the excitement in their heart, I wonder this view which is so easily accessible to me means immense happiness to someone standing on the other side of the road. I learn what means nothing to one, means everything to someone. It is not always the big things in life that make you happy, but the joy you find in small things.

Written by Vrushali Deshpande

Final Blow

There once was a love so deep and true I forgave you, no matter what you'd do Betrayal after betrayal, my heart torn in two But my love ...